Saturday, March 24, 2012

The dance: a minimum of explanation, a minimum of anecdotes, and a maximum of sensations (Maurice Béjart)

In January, we blogged about the new Dance Lab series. The Dance Lab Series is designed with several purposes in mind:
 - allow new, learning and inexperienced callers to get time behind a microphone calling to real dancers,
 - allow experienced callers to try out dances that are new to them,
 - allow callers and choreographers to try out original dances to see how ideas they’ve been thinking about actually work on the dance floor,
 - allow aspiring dance musicians to get experience in an open band playing with more experienced musicians.
This past Friday marked the third workshop in the series. We talked some about the goals of the "students" and also had a session on using the microphone.


Now the exciting part -- I (Loretta) actually called a dance. Who would have thought I could ever do that? It looks so easy when someone else is doing it. I knew it wasn't, which is one reason why I never tried it until now. There is so much to know and so much going on that you have to pay attention to -- serious multi-tasking!!

All hands go forward and back
During the month before, with Jim's help, I worked on an abbreviated version of the dance "Haste to the Wedding". I had to get the calls in just the right place, on just the right beats. I had to make sure I was in the right place with where the music was. I had to make sure I had the "who" and then the "what" -- meaning that first you say who you want to do something and then tell them what they're supposed to do. This is all in just a few beats of the music! And don't get this wrong, or the entire dance could disintegrate. And all of this trains the dancers, too. 

Face your partner . . .
People that have danced before expect things a certain way. They've had some patterns established over their dancing history that they're accustomed to. You might think that you're going to come in as a new caller or a non-local caller and introduce your styles. Well, that might just be fine. But you might just be told that's not how it's done here, or that's not how they're used to hearing that particular instruction.

I consider myself very fortunate for that night. I had a great teacher at home, and the experienced callers that have been presenting the workshop -- especially Marlin Whitaker, and this month, Don Theyken for microphone and voice tone help, and a fantastic group of dancers. Everyone loved (or so they said) the dance, and said I did a good job.

No - I haven't ever done this before! I do plan to try it again in April, though. The next workshop is April 20, 7:00pm, at Concourse Hall in Ann Arbor. Come out to try the dancing or learn some about calling. Remember -- it's free, too!!

 

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Loretta!

    I'm glad to hear that Dance Lab is working for you. And thanks for capturing so well in your writing what we are tying to accomplish with this series.

    ReplyDelete

Followers